Find healthy and affordable food in and around the City of Melbourne by browsing our newly-updated Community Food Guide.
From markets that sell fresh produce like Queen Victoria Market and Flemington Farmers’ Market to agencies that provide meals for people in need, many organisations have adjusted their operations due to COVID-19.
We have updated our comprehensive Community Food Guide to reflect the current landscape. Here are some of the groups supporting people in need with wholesome food at this time, and year round.
As COVID-19 restrictions continue, organisations are working hard to ensure community safety. We must all do our part, especially when we are out and about. Please practice good hygiene and physical distancing at all times, following current government guidelines.
1. Church of All Nations at 180 Palmerston Street, Carlton offers fresh food for a $2 donation for concession or Health Care Card holders on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 12pm. The service also offers food vouchers on a case-by-case basis, and food parcels for people who book ahead. Call 9347 7077 for details.
2. The Flemington Mission at 26 Norwood Street, Flemington offers free food relief parcels on the first and third Tuesdays of the month from 10am to 1pm. People must call ahead before coming to collect a prepared food parcel. Call 9376 3777 for details.
We have seen a significant increase of people in need requiring access to fresh food and meals due to COVID-19, and therefore an increase in food relief services. If you are not in need of food relief, but would like to help people that are, many of these agencies accept donations. We encourage you to connect with your local food relief organisation to see what support they need.
3. RISE Food Bank at Level 1/247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne provides free dry food, fresh fruits and vegetables for refugees and asylum seekers on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9am to 5pm. Donations are welcome, but please call RISE on 9639 8623 to check which items are needed.
4. Anglicare’s Lazarus Centre at 15 Gisborne St, East Melbourne has temporarily replaced its community breakfast service with take-away toasted sandwiches. This service is available to people experiencing homelessness from 7.30am to 9am daily. Call 9662 2391 for details.
5. Hotham Mission at 2 Elm St, North Melbourne delivers free food parcels to organisations to help them support young people in need – mostly those who are accessing education programs. Call 9326 8245 for details.
6. Christ Church Mission Community Centre at 14 Acland Street, St Kilda provides food and other necessities to people experiencing financial hardship within the City of Melbourne municipality and beyond. The free service is open from 10.30am to 1.30pm Monday to Friday. Call 9534 9250 for details.
To find out more, visit Community Food Guide.