Public places and spaces open their arms to people all year round.
Here are some amazing public places for you to explore.
1. Koorie Heritage Trust – gaze out at the river while enjoying exhibitions of Victorian Aboriginal artwork and artefacts.
2. Collins Arch – relax in the green space around this landmark mixed-use tower development that occupies an entire city block. Beneath the iconic building, designers created an attractive public space for everyone’s enjoyment.
3. Library and community hub at the Dock and Southbank’s Boyd Community Hub – visit the libraries, play areas and makers spaces in Docklands and Southbank – they’re public and open for all. We sought out the best architectural thinking based around our design excellence principles to create these important public spaces.
4. ArtPlay – hosting more than 300 workshops, events and performances every year, ArtPlay invites children to get creative.
5. St Paul’s Cathedral – take a self-guided tour or attend a service. Built between 1880 and 1931, the neo-Gothic building welcomes more than 400,000 visitors a year.
6. La Mama Theatre – hear about a joyful story of survival. Almost destroyed by fire, the historic theatre has been rebuilt on its Carlton site.
7. Old Customs House – this 19th century landmark is home to the Immigration Museum.
8. Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre – this vast venue hosts big public events all year round.
9. Parks and gardens – explore a treetop playground and bask in nature in our numerous parks and green spaces.