City traders will welcome mega crowds to Melbourne’s CBD this Christmas, with the addition of exciting events, markets, pop-ups, workshops and experiences in this year’s jam-packed Christmas Festival line up.
Families and the young at heart are now able to enjoy the City of Melbourne’s Christmas Collective activations, offering a variety of entertainment options for all ages, abilities and interests – showcasing the true Christmas flair in Melbourne.
The Christmas Collective, an initiative in its fourth year, is designed to support small businesses with festive activations across Melbourne’s vibrant and diverse neighbourhoods that cater to a wide and diverse audience.
More than a dozen events make up the 2022 Christmas Collective program, including:
- A Christmas Pageant at Comedy Republic
- Japan Christmas Festival at Japaneasy
- Nordic Christmas in Melbourne at WØRKS
- Christmas Lights and Art Festival and Christmas Workshops at Blender Studios
- A Crafty Christmas Fest at Laneway Learning
- A Christmas Market at Testing Grounds
- Handel’s Messiah at Melbourne Town Hall by Royal Melbourne Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra
- Melbourne Christmas Treasure Hunts by Royal Society of Victoria
- Festive Creations Around the World Workshops at MicroLabs by The Creative Cooperative
- Santa’s Lab Christmas Science Experiments for Kids at Library at the Dock by STEM Sisters
- A Very Merry Friend-Mas in Southbank at Boyd Community Hub by Southbank3006
- 8 Days of Christmas at Section 8
- A Christmas Market at River Studios
- Cuban Christmas Party at The Mbassy Dance
The businesses involved have received grants of up to $5,000 from the City of Melbourne, as well as in-kind support, to bring their festive events to life.
Council has also provided funding to support Precinct Associations to deliver their own festive offerings across the city, including:
- Activations supporting the Christmas Roller Rink at Argyle Square by Carlton Inc.
- Look Draw Love Melbourne Christmas Edition, Christmas Film Photowalks and Roving Drag Santa by City Precinct
- Christmas on Collins Pop-up Wrap Shop by Collins Street Precinct Group
- Docklands Community Sports Xmas BBQ, Docklands Christmas Party and The District Docklands Christmas Twilight Market by Docklands Chamber of Commerce
- The Great Greek Quarter Christmas Feast by Greek Quarter
- Discover Kensington Christmas Fair by Kensington Business Association
- Little Korea Christmas Festival by Melbourne City North
- Christmas in North & West Melbourne by North & West Melbourne Precinct Association
- Family Christmas Evening on South Wharf by Yarra River Business Association
The four-week Christmas Festival is supported by the $200 million Melbourne City Revitalisation Fund – a partnership of the City of Melbourne and the Victorian Government to stimulate the economy and bring the city to life.
For the full Christmas Festival program, visit What’s On.
Quotes attributable to Lord Mayor Sally Capp
“There’s nothing like Christmas in the city, and we’re doing everything we can to bring hundreds of thousands of people to the CBD to enjoy the festive fun on offer. And this year, there’s more activities to enjoy than ever before.”
“We’re supporting more than a dozen city business owners and creatives as they bring their big ideas to life, spreading Christmas cheer and driving visitation and spend across the CBD.”
“Only in the city can you experience and enjoy one of our Christmas Collective events and take advantage of extended trading hours and unique retail offerings, to complete your shopping for the festive season.”
Quotes attributable to City Activation portfolio lead Councillor Roshena Campbell
“Christmas in the city is such a magical time of year, and for traders it represents one of their most important sales periods of the year.”
“That’s why we are supporting events and experiences to create a Christmas shopping experience you can only find in the city.”
Quotes attributable to General Manager of Laneway Learning Maria Yebra
“As a small business owner, being involved in the Christmas Collective has been a great boost to kick off our festive season.”
“Having the support of the City of Melbourne has meant that we can create even more special moments and really bring the magic to Melbourne this December.”