Turn your balcony, backyard, community garden, school veggie patch or green rooftop into a haven for birds and bees with free advice from an expert garden guide.
Our passionate Gardens for Wildlife volunteers are on hand to help you create wildlife-friendly habitats, even if you only have space for pot plants.
Participants get personalised advice and a voucher for some free native plants from Bili Nursery.
Need inspiration? Here are a few success stories from local neighbourhoods.
- Thomas created a flourishing Kensington courtyard
- Alice uses plants to welcome wildlife to her inner-city balcony
- Ann-Sofie grows thriving pot plants on the 25th floor of a CBD apartment building
- Julie enhanced her balcony and community garden at a Carlton retirement home
- Stephanie made her North Melbourne garden more resilient to a nearby busy road
- Kate transformed a barren North Melbourne courtyard into an urban wildlife garden
To read top tips for a wildlife-friendly garden, request a garden visit or volunteer as a Wildlife Garden Guide, visit Gardens for Wildlife.
How to keep in touch with your neighbourhood
The City of Melbourne is a dynamic place made up of unique neighbourhoods – Carlton, Parkville, East Melbourne, West Melbourne, North Melbourne, Kensington, Docklands, South Yarra, Southbank and the CBD.
Each neighbourhood has its own needs, services and priorities, and we’re focused on listening to community voices to help us make every area of the municipality the best it can be – from greening gardens to capital works.
Our new neighbourhood portals are your one-stop shop for information that shapes how you live, work, study and play. They showcase the priorities for each neighbourhood and provide updates on work underway.
Check out the new community noticeboard to browse events and activities near you.
Seven passionate neighbourhood partners are also on hand to hear your feedback and ‘connect the dots’ between council, residents and businesses to empower local people, build community capacity and guide city projects.